Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Circus

"I love the circus! I had so much fun Frank, I want to live there. Lets run off to the circus!" I shouted with forceful glee in my voice. Because I didn't really like the circus, it smelled like elephant poop and the carnys made me uncomfortable and were rude to my mother. I didn't like them the most. But in all honesty I didn't really like Frank, so I was going to leave him at the circus! So he would stop following me around as if he was my little puppy dog.

"Seriously Greg, everybody I've ever talked to always said the circus was scary and the rides were dangerous," as he questioned my lie. I became nervous. What if this didn't work out and he still acted as my unwanted tail.

"No, NO! come along" I smiled reassuringly.

As we walked to the circus entrance he questioned me again, about the broken down sign, with only half the letters remaining red and bright, with the other half, lights broke out and dead flys gathering at the bottom of the letters in a small lip of plastic, graveyard of flys. I too if I was him, would question.

He remained hooked to my back side thought, not willing to turn back now, we payed our 22 dollar entrance fee and cautiously offered our hands to the lady carny with red and black hair. It almost resembles a rats nest, scared of what might crawl out of her hair we rushed the process and only received one bracelet.

Frank wore the bracelet questionably. I decide to stop at the fortune tellers, a yellow and red tee-pee with a piece of Bristol board reading "Mystic Jess". The inside made of black and purple sparkly velvet, with a quiet dark skinned girl with long brown hair that fell forward into her face. A face decorated with high half moons covering her eye lids, the color mom wore in pictures from high school, really blue. Her cheek bones looked huge covered in the reddest of reds, and her skin seemed older then she did. Gold and silver jewelry hanging all over her body. She was scary but seemed friendly almost.

She spoke softly when she said "May i see your hand young child"

Reluctantly Frank gave her his hand she held it firmly with both of her hands, her long red finger nails seemed to engrave into his skin. Giving me the shivers, I looked at Frank, sweat beading down his forehead gathering at his eyebrows. My chance.

"Frank I'm going to run to the bathroom, if you don't mind," before his answer I opened the curtain door and squinted into the daylight. Thankful to be outta there. I ran and ran to the entrance in my far view, like tunnel vision it was all I could see. The lady with red and black hair looked oddly at me running so vigorously. I didn't see the branch few strides away, "CRACK" I heard it. As I tumbled to the ground I tried to scramble to my feet without losing anytime.

The lady at the entrance roared loudly "HEY YOU! You alright kid?" for a second she paused then said "and where's your bracelet!?"

There was no chance now. I was caught by a evil carny, what could I do but roar for the main reason I came here "FRANK! FRANK! FR-R-R-ANK! HELP ME!" I glared hopefully at the tee-pee waiting for the curtain door to fly open and him run to my rescue. Then after the longest seconds of my life it happened, he came running to my rescue, a much better friend then I could ever be. He ran hard and fast, grabbed my arm and without asking any questions continued running through the entrance and didn't stop until the broken down letters of that awful sign were completely out of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment